Friday, January 25, 2013

J-O-H-O-R Johor, Johor, That's who we are!

I have spent the last twenty days living in Kuala Lumpur, meeting 74 other English Teaching Assistants and working with the staff of the Malaysian-American Commission on Educational Exchange (MACEE). We spent 8.5 hours a day in orientation learning about Malaysian culture and social dynamics, the typical daily life of an ETA, the expectations and roles of the ETAs, and how to teach in Malaysian classrooms. We had TESOL training and took Bahasa Malaysia classes. We planned a 6 hour English day camp. We took a scavenger hunt of Kuala Lumpur (which, I may add, was incredibly fun). We met with the US Ambassador, the US Embassy, the Malaysian Ministry of Education, and the US Department of State. And we were told which state and school we are working in for the next ten months.

I clearly remember walking into the orientation room on Monday, January 8th at 0900 to discover four posters with pins marking locations on maps and a list of names and bios next to each map. Under “Johor” I found my name. I could not contain my excitement. After eight months of waiting, I finally had a better idea of where in Malaysia I was going to be living for the majority of 2013. Four days later, I was told my school: SMK Labis.

And today was the most important day of all. Today, twenty ETAs arrived in Johor Bahru, the capital city of Johor state. This evening, we had a reception dinner which our headmasters/headmistresses and mentors attended. I had dinner with the headmaster of SMK Labis, the Segamat District Assistant Education Officer of the English Language, my future roommate Dorine, and the headmistress of her school, SK Sri Labis. Unfortunately, both of our mentors could not make it tonight. Incredible people, incredible evening, incredible connections.

I am overwhelmed with emotions today. Even though it has only been three weeks since we all arrived in Malaysia, it was quite difficult to say “See you later!” to all of the ETAs going to other states. Sadness of separation, excitement of taking the next step toward reaching my new home and workplace, a bit of anxiety regarding the unknown.

Tonight, this became a reality. I feel like I have been living in a bubble for a long time. The idea of teaching in Malaysia was still very distant even as the time drew closer. Now, I have met someone from my district and school. I have discussed the demographics of SMK Labis, the daily school schedule, the co-curricular activities available to my students. I have put faces with names. And I have been welcomed by the headmaster of SMK Labis. In six days I will move into my new apartment with Dorine and settle into a new lifestyle and occupation. Daunting, yes, but it’s so much more than that. I have been waiting for this moment for so long and now it’s finally here. Let the teaching begin!

Finding my name among those teaching in Johor!

SK Sri Labis headmistress, Dorine, me, SMK Labis Headmaster, Segamat District Assistant Education Officer of the English Language

No comments:

Post a Comment