Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Birthday Wishes

1 July 2013

A birthday well spent in Labis. Throughout the day I received many birthday wishes and happy returns of the day from students and teachers. A few students even gave me gifts!! A beautiful photo frame with a picture of me from Teacher’s Day, a Hello Kitty doll from my student’s brother (we share the same birthday), a birthday bird, a mug and a Happy Birthday carving, Malaysian tea, a keychain from Singapore, and cupcakes. I was spoiled!!

First gifts of the day

The evening marked the most memorable part of the day. I went to supper with 10 of my Form 6 students at a quaint restaurant new to me. All incredibly lovely ladies who are always a joy to be around. We all sat on cushions around a long table in our own private curtained-off room, setting the mood for a fabulous evening. Milk shakes, fruit juices, and ice blendeds led to noodles, chicken and rice, soup, fun fries, yam samosas, and fried ice cream. We joked and laughed, told stories, and spoke in four different languages (well, some of us did). We made wishes on post-it notes and tacked them on the wishing wall. We ate homemade mango bread still warm from the oven. Towards the end of our supper, the lights dimmed and suddenly a chorus of voices started singing “Happy Birthday” as a mango crème-filled vanilla cake was brought into our room, complete with candles. Wishes made and candles blown out, I was introduced to a Malaysian birthday tradition. The birthday girl must remove a candle using only her mouth! Surprisingly or not, this birthday girl was successful and not messy!

A beautiful day spent in fabulous company.

The Wishing Wall

Colorful drinks!

Time to eat!

Fantastic company in a lovely restaurant

Group photo!

Using my teeth to remove the candle from the cake

Tea Time with more friends after dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment