Friday, July 19, 2013

Fasting in Solidarity

10 July marked the beginning of the holy month of Ramadhan. During this 30 day period, all Muslims around the world must refrain from eating and drinking during daylight hours. In Malaysia, that is about 13 hours. Fasting is one of the Five Pillars of Islam. It is a time for spiritual purification and the recognition of oneself and the denial of one’s worldly desires. Many Muslims will also give to charity during this time, as they experience conditions more similar to that of the poor.

This year, I am fasting. Although it is not a religious act for me, it is an opportunity for me to show solidarity with my students and fellow Muslim teachers. I also benefit from reflection and recognizing my personal and worldly desires as I refrain from eating and drinking for 13 hours every day, from 6:30am to 7:30pm. Today marks my sixth day of fasting. I missed four days last week due to traveling with the Tamil Society at my school on their annual trip. (See previous blog!) In the Islamic faith, sick persons, menstruating women, the elderly, and travelers are exempt from fasting, but those who are able must make up these days before the following Ramadhan.

The Muslim teachers at my school appreciate my efforts while the non-Muslim teachers are impressed with my determination. Most days it is not too difficult to fast as long as I keep myself busy. I notice that when I am home, I have a tendency to nibble on snacks throughout the afternoon. Now, I cannot engage in such acts. I am actually eating better. I am cooking every night. I am making sure I have a hearty breakfast (though that’s really the same as always), and I am drinking more water.

Not drinking anything during the day is the most difficult, though I certainly think it could be worse. Malaysia is hot and humid all year round. For the past two months or so, it has not rained at all in Labis. However, recently, for the past two weeks, it has started raining again. We have had several rainstorms during the school day and every day is more overcast than it used to be. Thus, the sun is not as hot and energy can be saved.

I was warned to expect that my students would have less energy, but really, I haven’t noticed much change. My most energetic classes are still just as rowdy. My quiet classes are just as quiet. I have only noticed that my throat gets scratchier throughout the day from teaching.

I don’t know how long I will fast, but at this point, I’m thinking about trying the whole month. Why not? This is the chance for me to do it. And I’m becoming closer to some of my co-workers because of it. The best part of Ramadhan is Iftar, the meal that breaks the fast. On Monday, I had Iftar, with Hasnul, one of the English teachers. She has recently started cooking more and was very willing to try some vegetarian options. We made vegetarian tom yam soup (a local dish) and vegetable omelets. Of course there was also rice. We have plans to cook together again on Saturday. This time – Spanish burritos.

Ramadhan Mubarak. Happy Ramadhan!

No comments:

Post a Comment